What do you keep in your car or truck when traveling for emergencies? Let me know!
Do you hate taking conventional cough syrup for your colds and coughs or giving it to your children? What’s actually in there anyway? Is it safe? Well, my guess is you hate taking it, I do. Conventional syrups usually are filled with chemicals, artificial colors & flavors, and nothing really that’s pleasant on your body. Plus, have you seen the side effects? They are almost worse than the reason in your taking the OTC; diahhrea, constipation, vomiting, possibly internal bleeding?!?! No, thank you! I have a little recipe, Elderberry Syrup, that does just the trick. I’m not sure where it originated from, but, it’s a common recipe for elderberry syrup to be used as a cough/cold/flu/immunity remedy that you can whip up yourself and it’s pretty easy! Here’s the recipe below.
In this recipe for elderberry syrup it also contains the follow; honey – boosts your immunity, gives you energy, and helps with allergies; ginger – calms the tummy; cinnamon combined with honey boosts immunity, settles upset stomachs, and helps cure the common cold!
* 1/5 cup dried elderberries
* 2 cups filtered water
* 1 tsp ground ginger
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 cup honey (as local as you can get it; within 100 mile radius and organic and raw; as much as possible)
1. Combine elderberries, water, ginger, anc cinnamon in a pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, allow to cool completly; which is very important because if you heat honey it looses it’s healthing properties.
3. Once mixture is cooled, strain elderberrries through mesh strainer. squeeze elderberries through cheesecloth to remove any liquid left in them. Discard berries or eat them!
4. Add 1 cup of your local, organic honey to the elderberry liquid. Stir very well adn store in a tight, sterile container. Make sure you have a very tight fitting lide.
5. Store your syrup in the fridge. It will last 2-3 months. Be sure to label your bottle so you know when it’s old.
– During cold/flu months give children 1 tsp daily
– During cold/flu months give adults 1 tbs daily
******DO NOT GIVE TO CHILDREN UNDER 1 FOR THE SYRUP CONTAINS HONEY AND COULD CAUSE ALLERGIES****
You may take year round to keep immune system in tiptop shape!
– At the first sign of flu/cold symptoms give children 1 tsp every 2-3 hours until no more sypmtoms
– At the first sign of flu/cold symptoms give adults 1 tbs every 2-3 hours until no more sypmtoms
This syrup is real sweet and goes down well. You should have no problem swallowing it; of course if you are allergic to any ingredients; DON’T USE IT. Common sense! 🙂
I’m waiting on some elderberries to come in, so hopefully I can make a video! Just discovered the wonderful world of a webcam being on my laptop! haha
You can get your dried elderberries from www.mountainroseherbs.com
What’s so great about elderberries?
Elderberries are super awesome for you immunity! They have many phytochemicals that fight the flu!
* Analgesics: pain reliver
* Antibronchitics: relieves sore throat inflammation
* Anti-inflammatory: relieves swelling and inflammation
* Antitussive: cough suppresant
* Expectorant: loosens phlegm
* Immunostimulants: boosts immunity system
Best Wishes & Live Beautifully